Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Close calls

We needed some chocolate chips; we needed a pizza tray. Now. These were the reasons I had to fire up the ole' Volvo engine and venture out into the world, driving on the wrong side of the road. Well, to me anyways.

We made it safely to our destination and acquired the goods. *ahem* Acquired them legally, that is, what were you thinking?!?

There were a couple of disagreements over who should carry the size 5 child's coat, and an accusation (while hungry) from the little one that I, "hurt her eyebrows." erm....

After a bit of dilly-dallying with good intentions (buying presents for little bundles of joy who will be arriving soon), we made it back out to the parking lot to where the nice parking ticket man was standing next to my car. He was busy poking at buttons on his machine when I said hello. He apologized, then after a few moments told me: "The paper is stuck in my printer. You will get away before I can give you a ticket." This sounded very racy and illegal to me, so I asked for further clarification. He said that I was not going to get a ticket....which was especially nice because it would have put me back a hefty 30 pounds sterling (obviously I should have inserted another 40 pence into the meter.)

I felt pretty good about it, especially because this trip's close call was only a parking violation...not the moving violation that I earned (but did not receive) the last time I was on the road.

Now to be fair, the last time I was on the road was also the first time that I had driven in England. So, maybe I shouldn't feel too bad that I almost crashed at a roundabout on the way to the store, then drove so cautiously home that I was passed by a scooter. I'd say this times close call with a parking ticket was head and heels above that.... ;)

11 comments:

Lever said...

I fucking knew it... Before I hooked up with you in the town centre I was gonna ask if you had enough change and stuff, got parked OK... and I thought that if you hadn't put a measly 40p in the meter it'd only be a $60 fine... but no, I assumed my clever Becky'd be cool and I just let the thought go...

But you narrowly avoided getting a ticket... you jammy little miss :p :D

So... what is it with you and cars, huh? My first ever tow, my first ever bump...?

LOL :D

Oh, and you forgot the tomato... ;)

Kat E said...

Hey, there you are! :)

Yeah, you and cars, what's the deal?

LMAO picturing you being passed by a scooter...

Jay said...

If that's the worst, then it's not so bad. I really feel like I'd be taking some lives in hand if I attempted so much as to ride a bike on the wrong side of the road. My brain doesn't summersault too easily these days.

rebekah said...

dude youre loads better than me anyway, i would have run over several pedestrians and broken god knows how many of their traffic laws. i dont sometimes understand ours so kudos and kisses to you :) lucky dude.

and leave the poor child's eyebrows alone.

searchingforMrDarcy said...

hurt her eyebrows! That's got to be the best one yet!

I'm not so sure England is a safe place for you. Biking through artilery drills, roundabout messes.
Cool way to get out of a ticket.

Anonymous said...

perhaps in another life bbfk was a parking meter maid and in this life it is all coming back in the form of bad car karma! lol!!!

but the more important thing is she gotta way with it, there is some good karma there too.

Hon Don Gerard said...

You can hurt your eyebrow.








...well, you CAN...

Mummy/Crit said...

You were lucky girl. I got a $72 ticket the other week. I hated it. it's a weird thing about eyebrows I reckon.

rebekah said...

so where are the pictures of coco's halloween costume eh?

Di Mackey said...

Lol, well done.

I have used some of my best innocent faces when being asked questions in these cases.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Lever:
Haven't you learned yet? I near ALWAYS underestimate time...including when purchasing my parkign ticket.

Kat E:
Well, it's pretty tricky here...but you'll see that for yourself, hopefully soon. :D

Jay:
Thanks Babe! Much appreciated. *giggles* over the summersault

Rebekah:
*huge squeeze*
Aw, i need your cheerleading!
And, I know what WAS I thinking, messing with her eyebrows like that?

SFMD:
*laughing*

Anonymous:
Good point. But I'd like to think that I was an earthworm (or something like that), recycling dirt in another life and just hanging out...

Don:
talk to the hand
*stifles all-out snorting laugh*

Mummy/Crit:
Awwww, man! That sucks the big one...sorry to hear about it!

Fishlamp:
Wow, that's a jem to treasure!

Rebekah:
yes, I am delinquent as ever...

Keeefer:
get back to it, Man!! *chuckles about the Farnb'oro comment*

Woman Wandering:
Cheers!
:D
And nice to meet you, Btw. :)