Monday, June 11, 2007

Happy Birthday, Stefan


Tonight, at least 50 people assembled at the YMCA where my brother was a lifeguard for the past 6 years. We read a poem he wrote, sang a song written for him, sang an Irish Blessing, shared memories, and planted a sugar maple tree in his honor. We cried, got to know each other, ate barbeque, and missed Stefan together.

Still, there are moments when I feel like I'm in a movie, that this can't really be happening, that my Stefan can't be gone. I feel like there has got to be some alternate ending to my choose-your-own-adventure story. I just need to go back and re-read the path that I want...I just got sidetracked along an untrue, unwanted story-line.

5 comments:

Mummy/Crit said...

I'm glad to hear about your life, and feel for your loss. The sugar maple is a lovely thing, and good that you all got to share it. Thinking of you.

Kat E said...

Sounds like a nice tribute. I hope it helped some to gather with all the folks he meant so much to.

Lever said...

Happy Birthday Stefan. A sugar maple aye? Sounds really good, I don't know that one :) I'll chat with Becky when she's back and we'll plant you something native to England here for you too. You fancy an Oak (which will take a very very long time to grow but be absolutely magnificent) or something a little more ornamental or even a fruit tree? An apple tree producing apples for pies, cider & scrumpy for years to come would be a nice one :)

Jay said...

I think that's the nicest way to be remembered.

Vicious Summer said...

I can't even imagine going through what you have. Actually, I can, but it's so horrifying that I don't want to think that something like this is even possible.

Oddly enough, I think about your Stefan often. I wanted to dedicate our 1st tree on our Puerto Rico property to him but every time I plant something, it seems like we have to bulldoze that area soon thereafter. So, I'm waiting for things to settle so I can give my Stefan tree a proper home. :)