Wednesday, November 12, 2008

*British female voice* "Hello. Your call cannot be taken at the moment and you cannot leave a message"

Wow. Well that doesn't leave me with many options, now does it. Call back again sure...[presses in the 12 numbers required to dial international numbers, again, an hour later]....same thing. Well, I guess that rules out the call-back option, too.

Am I being sensitive, or would you say I was being given the V-sign, the English equivalent of the middle finger, generally accompanied by "Fuck-off"? What if I also told you that the reason for the call was regarding a visa I applied for (including paying a $430 fee) 1 YEAR ago but have not even been considered for, due to technical issues with their application process? That this phone call was one in a bucket of phone calls (some at $3.00/minute), emails, visits to the Consulate (with travel costs totaling more than $1000) and faxes made over the past YEAR in an attempt to resolve this issue?

Well, good job to the British government for minimizing the immigrating and visiting riff raff, including those small business owners with PhD qualifications in science. I am feeling more than disheartened; I am feeling exhausted from the battle.

Love 0 points; British government 10 points.

5 comments:

Mummy/Crit said...

Bugger. Bastards. they clearly have no idea what they're missing out on by keeping you in the US!

Jay said...

Hm....I'm wondering if they know some juicy details that I don't.

No, actually, I'm trying to be surprised, but failing. I don't even think your pain is country-specific. Don't take it personally; government offices are like molasses everywhere.

Having to pay for such stellar service, though, stings no matter where you are.

rebekah said...

i think that like most things government related, it's going to be a long, irritating process. want me to go kick someone for you? because i will. i totally will.

J C said...

Sounds like Dell PC Technical Assistance of India!

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Mummy Crit: *hugs*

Jay: Yeah, more dirt would have made for a better post...but no such luck. ;) The stinging has worn off mostly now, but, damn I was pissed off. I particularly enjoyed the juxtaposition of "complete bastard-edness" with the coat of syrupy politeness. Sometimes I find NY straight-up rudeness a little easier to swallow than fake!! pseudo-helpfulness.

Rebekah-dear: I know ya would!

J C: Oh I'm sure the (lip) "service" must be comparable.