Thursday, August 31, 2006

Foisting culture on Farnborough




The Americans have landed!! The Americans have landed!!

;)

And furthermore, this is what we've done....

We barely managed to get in the country before a terrorist threat
virtually dropped the movement of all UK airports to a
standstill....of course customs did give us our own special
run-around. Then, apparently we were distracting enough to cause a
minor accident on the way to Farnborough that same morning. *whew*
Despite that, we're all in one piece.

After a quick morning trip to the pike-y fair and a full day's spent
at the zoo, I got liquored-up with new British friends while our
lovely kids jumped late into the night on a bouncy castle. It was fun
for all.....even for the poor Sweethearts that had to drive us home.
We bought 'em dinner...er...sort of. We actually just paid for our own
and made use of the 2 for 1 dinner deal. They're still in the dark
about that, though. Shhhhh.

We were invited for a very civilized curry with Noe's first school
teacher. Mmmm, quite lovely. A quick trip to the bog then...*whew*
that was stinky....hmmmm....why was that flush so
ineffective?...erm....again....again....again...ERM....Okey,
okey...now we're getting somewhere....Noe, don't play with that globe
over the toi-LET!...*shakes head*...OK, well, Listerine sterilizes,
right?....good as new. Alrightly, then, back to our friends....

As indicated by the accompanying photographs, we are regulars of the
playground that is a mere 100 meters from our front door. Recently the
British boys I met there were quite tickled by the differences in
American and British
language...knickers..panties....trainers..sneakers....boot..trunk....comfort..fabric
softner....hat..lid....tap..faucet....football..soccer. Heard tell as
I was walking away..."I'm gonna meet an American girl and move
there...." ;)

foist (foist) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. foist·ed, foist·ing, foists
1. To pass off as genuine, valuable, or worthy.
2. To impose (something or someone unwanted) upon another by coercion
or trickery.

Definition 1 or 2?? .....You Decide. ;)

8 comments:

Kat E said...

So much in your post, yet all I want to know is...how did you end up discussing knickers/panties with little British boys? You are SO gonna get kicked outta there! ;)

Unknown said...

oh dear, i'm not sure if the brits are quite ready for you and noel.

also, where are you going to find a philly cheesesteak sandwich? ; )

or bubble tea?

Mummy/Crit said...

Wow, so busy you have been! it all sounds great to me. Don't get too homesick.

Lever said...

Ha. You kept quiet about the BOGOF deal and I kept my gob shut that I'd spotted it in the pub... touché :* ;) :p

Oh, and a hundred meters? Are you kidding? Why oh why do you doodle dandies have to exaggerate so much, it's only 10 metres if that ;) :p

Tell everybody it's Noe's Park... hey, we should have a sign made up :D

rebekah said...

hahaha. speaking of rolling on the floor ... youre too cute. :)

your kidlet looks happy. i'm glad you guys are there.

searchingforMrDarcy said...

Well maybe the problem is us Yanks can't really tell how much a 100 meters is, now a 100 yards and we're talking.

thanks for the post girl

Jay said...

I can't believe you're really there!!


Can you?

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Kat E:
Yeah, i'm just trying to supply a valid reason for them to kick me out. ;)

Narthex:
*laughing*
*laughing* again
*laughing* some more....

Mummy/Crit:
I'm working on it....although it would help immensely if the stuff that I shipped 9 weeks ago would turn up. I WOULD appreciate my pots and pans!!

My Lever:
LMAO. You bad boy...you had spotted the sign and hadn't meanted it, aye?
:*
And even Lizzy is calling it Noel's park now.... ;)

Rebekah:
HUGE *grin*
Thanks, Cute Babe. :D

SFMD:
*giggle* VERY true. See?! I should just get a star for using meters, even if I don't know what it means. ;)

Jay:
*laughing*
Nope, I've been walking around with my eyes wide and my mouth agape this entire time. ;)