Monday, September 01, 2008

Listeners Wanted

Dear Mr. Obama,

As a doctor (but “not the kind that helps people”) and single-mother who moved to the UK to escape the embarrassingly terrible policies of the Bush regime, I need to thoroughly thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for dedicating your life to public service—a life that I realize cannot be easy. You have provided me for the first time with a candidate that I am supporting because you uphold the principles that I value, and stand for and issues that are key to the wellbeing of the United States, and indeed the world. I feel that you make choices based on what is right, not what is necessarily easy or lucrative. Please continue on that path; please continue to make me proud to be your supporter.

In return, for my birthday I am asking my conservative friends to listen to one of your speeches, and trading favors for the same, as well. Although I generally cringe at books in the “self-help” genre, for my mother-in-law, I will read “A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose” in exchange for her listening to your Democratic nomination speech. So, please continue to make me proud, indeed even often tearful with your words, and I will do my best to recruit listeners.

All my best,
Rebecca

2 comments:

Mummy/Crit said...

Wow, such a great post BBFK! I feel more hopeful now.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

*grin* Thanks Babe! Noel listened to the Democratic nomination acceptance speech and now she refers to Mr Obama as "the guy we are voting for". (I haven't broken the news yet that 6 year olds aren't allowed to vote....actually my high-school aged sister is mourning over that too. De to the timing o her birthday, she misses voting in this election by 4 months...wah.)