Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hearts and flowers on a flat-screen

So, in the wake of the week of internet dating disasters, I've been trying to get rid of my connections to match.com. For example, I started replying to emails with: "Sorry, but I've decided that the internet is not my scene for meeting boys. I'm the kind of girl that likes to hang with someone and discover why I adore them and then date. In the internet dating world, it seems like you date first, and then find reasons to adore the person later(if you are lucky to find someone great.)" Of course, the typical human response to this is, "Wait, come back!", as documented by this email response: "Awww, I kinda like you more after hearing all that..."
I even tried to cancel my membership and was thwarted by a long conversation with a woman who purportedly found her husband on match. She set up my account with another 14 days, free, saying, "I want to be your matchmaker!", and then proceeded to fudge my responses to questions. "You excercise alot, right?" Apparently my failure was all in the presentation. And for all those people that lie in their profiles, don't you feel like a bastard when the truth is quickly revealed by a rendezvous with the potential love-of-your-life? "Sorry, hun, I didn't know that they meant *recently* when they asked that excercise question."
A friend hearing the story was convinced that it was fate that my account was extended, while I support the idea that it was business. See how un-romantic I am?
I'd rather take up residence in the local library for the next decade, waiting for the man of my dreams to appear in the classic fiction section, or maybe in gardening or travel...

3 comments:

Jay said...

But what if?

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Instigator.
I'll take my "what if?" waiting at the library.

Unknown said...

i second the library scenario.