Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Internet boys

Internet dating, boy it blows. You just can't get to know someone by
the web. And trying to meet up with them after some lame, futile tries
at establishing familiarity between emails and a phone conversation or
2, makes me uncomfortable. No, downright squeemish, in fact. And
along with that theme, the first boy I met with must have found me to
be completely neurotic. I arrived to drink at a bar on a Sunday
afternoon, covered with red splotches on my chest. In part my skin
breakout was induced by the past hour that I'd spent faking
precalculus ability for a poor highschool girl; in part it was induced
by the situation at hand. I found the "meet the random guy at a bar
scenario" to be quite unnerving.

I had actually put some effort into *that* attempt at meeting a boy,
from there it's been steadily downhill. The next guy that I met with
had been pestering me to meet, but I had a bad feeling about it.
Nothing terrible, like he was going to beat me, but just the ole'
usual bored-out-of-my-mind scenario. Well, it happened as I predicted
and what's more: I was attracted to that guy as much as I am a wet
booger. So, guy number #3. At this point I was putting next to no
effort into the rendezvous. I mean, I showered (but then again, I do
do that regularly), but I brought my girl with me. It made it less
date-like, which I was happy with. And overall I had a good time. We
ate Thai food and browsed the excellent Yale Natural history museum.
But then upon arriving back at my house, Noel began running around in
a manner that required attention, and then my mailbox fell off the
house. It certainly ruined the moment, if there was going to be one.
And that was the end of that.
But maybe today's my lucky day...I was just "winked" at by a southern
boy who lists some of his favorite activities, including mudding.
Maybe he's the one... ;)

2 comments:

Jay said...

You know, I am always a little skeptical about it, but then, I have heard real "success" stories and I can't help but be intrigued that you could really meet someone so easily, just right from the comforts of your own home while wearing sweat pants!

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Well, when you add the bonus of maximizing sweatpant-time (an angle I hadn't pondered), it does add real allure to the internet dating scene...
;)