Thursday, March 17, 2005

The underbelly that makes me sick

----------------------------------Thursday-----------------------------------------
The seedy, pasty underbelly of the pharmaceutical industry was hanging out today, in fact it was right in my face. This is what happened.
So, I write educational pieces for doctors. These publications end up in medical journals and are supposed to educate doctors on the current information available for a disease, as well as the treatments.
Bad sign #1: Pharmaceutical companies sponsor the publication of these pieces.
So, there's all kinds of regulations and rules about who has input into the writing and how the papers are put together, in an effort to truly make the writing fair, balanced, and educational. Otherwise, they become a sleazy form of advertising, the faux educational publication.
That's the background, the setup for the ugly scene that I dealt with today.
Somehow I managed to find myself on a conference call with the CEO of the company that was sponsoring my current manuscript. Yow, the whole conversation was all kinds of *inappropriate*! The CEO tried to tell me how to word the description of the competitor's product (I shiver at the sleaze, just thinking about it.) And then to compound the terrible conversation, he concluded our little talk by a little super-sleaze banter. He lamented the cold weather and and exclaimed his love for sweat-inducing temperatures, as that would drive a need for his product. The bastard was basically wishing rashes on people. I don't even wish rashes on ex-boyfriends, so to me, this is terrible.

-----------------------------------Friday--------------------------------------------
Today the CEO called back to apologize for his ignorance in a technical matter that we had debated about. It was completely an "I was wrong, you were right" voice mail. Ha.
And just to reaasure you, I didn't stand down on the manuscript matter. My sentences will stay as written.
Signing off,
becky, righteous guard of medical knowledge

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you just love it when they're wrong and have to admit it!! I work with all men and sometimes they can be such asses. I found you through Jay's blog. Nice site, I'll be back to visit again.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Yeah, this was a sleazebag man. In fact, I'm amazed he *bothered* to admit it.
And I like your little ass-shaking girl cartoon, Junebugg.
;)
And thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks. I get a little sassy once in a while. And I got plenty of ass to shake LOL

Unknown said...

there are few things worse than greedy baron robber scumbag ill fitting suit types than ones that purport to be providing society with something that is good for them.

oh, and we can't forget the pharm reps who give free golf towels and badly designed commuter cups to m.d.'s with logos of drugs that often end in "a", "ol", "ex", "on", "ax", etc. i'm sure the list goes on but i haven't sold the manuscript on how to name new drugs to pfizer yet so i can't disclose all the tricks!

heheh

Jay said...

I wrote a paper once on pharmaceutical sleaze - more to the tune of doctors "winning" paid trips to Hawaii, etc, for every 250 prescriptions of drug X they prescribe. They're pushers for drug companies, and it makes you afraid of accepting an Rx, whether you really need it, or whether your doctor just really needs a vacation. Great!

Jay said...

Good post though. Jason and I were discussing the sleaze (do I keep spelling that differently?) at his work with coworkers yesterday. Damn that AT&T/Cingular buy-out!, we'd yell, as the beer sloshed around.

shinanos said...

Hope you feel better and back cheerly again!! Love ♡ :) Shina x

arthur decko said...

i kind of hate the whole medical/pharmaceutical community. they are a business, about money, not healthcare. kind of disgusting actually.

shinanos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shinanos said...

Hey retarious, how you came ya foreign element!! I HATE yr blog too, eroticamaniac! Dubious and just can't take it :( *F**K U dork*

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Whoa.
There's no swearing on this upstanding site.

-Beckybumblefuck

Lever said...

Outstanding. Your stance on the issue I mean, BBF :D

Please excuse my attitude but I find that a large proportion of high-up suits have a cetain arrogance - that those without suits are lesser mortals. Well, those with long hair or shaved heads, t-shirts, jeans or skirts are proving a point...

Salute :D

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Lever-
Wait. Hold on a moment. Am I reading correctly, that you're calling me a "high up suit?" I have my own office, but am far from stuffy-girl suit. In fact, I get in trouble for exposed midriffs and such.
(http://eatthesecrumbs.blogspot.com/2005/02/becky-law-breaker-bumblefuck.html#comments)
I find it highly amusing to be considered a higher up-it's so far from reality...