Sunday, July 03, 2005

Flakiness

Noel caused me to have a conniption yesterday.

It was a classic moment between us. We had been shoe shopping, partially in further preparation for my sister's wedding and in part because that it what you do every season change when you have a growing 3-year-old. So after accomplishing our white shoes and new sandal purchase, we started hiking it out of the store. I wasn't surprised when the escalator coming into view caused Noel almost to convulse with excitement over the possibilities. I knew the happiness that a little ride would bring, so although it was a detour, we set off for the escalator. I hopped on, and apparently didn't have a solid grip on her little hand, because she wasn't with me in the continual downward movement. I called for her and she donned a trepidations look and refused. As I had gone 8 feet down at this point, I started running up the escalor (*sarcasm*a fun exercise in futility) and got within inches, but managed to grab her doll, and not her. I kept cajoling her to jump on, meanwhile. Two more failed attempts at swiping her later and a line behind Noel, and I was getting *very* frustrated. A nice black woman finally took her hand and remedied the situation. 'Course we immediately had to get on the "up" escalator. *blood pressure raises just remembering* Right. That first escalator ride only happened because why? I needed a new spatula in the kitchen appliance section or a new push-up bra in the downstairs section of the department store. Um, NO!!

6 comments:

rebekah said...

well i rather like escalators ... but i think it's more an immaturity thing ... i like rides or something ... but i can see how three year olds and escalators dont really mix ... i like 'em though ... running up 'em ... how fun ...

Unknown said...

yet another classic BBFK & Noel moment. i'm telling you, if you copyright and syndicate these moments you could make a killing and retire to a tropical island! =p

Lever said...

And if nobody had come to the rescue, you could have done miles (well OK, 3 km/h but uphill all the way *laughing...*)... you could have been there ALL day... well, at least until the store closed... or the guard, watching you on the security camera, had finished wetting himself... hey, BBFK, you realise...? you could be on TV soon...

In a classic "does a falling tree in a forest make a sound when there's nobody there" thought process... do they leave escalators on when everyone's gone home...?

Unknown said...

is that kind of like, "if there is no one else around during a BBFK moment, does she make a sound?" ;)

Mummy/Crit said...

Oh yeah, I love those little moments, escalators, crossing roads, pedestrain collisions where you realise that you're not holding the toddlers hand after all and they've let go from distraction, or fear, and are now on the wrong side/end of a physical barrier.....

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Rebekah:
I have this story of an escalotor back from when I visited Paris as a highschooler. I was (in a very rare state, for me) dressed in the fashion of the time: wearing a black pleated skirt and above-the-knee-black stockings that left a 2inch gap of skin between 'em. A Parisian man thought it was cool to put his hand up my thigh while riding on an escalotor leaving the Metro. I slapped him. At the top of the escalator, an old man stood watching, fingering his penis....

Shina:
"A shopping-advisor type for irresolute friends", aye? LMAO! *Love* how ya put that! I could use you when I go shoe shopping, girl...

Narthex:
*bows* It was brought to you by the letter E and the number 2.

My Lever:
Laugh it up you. "security guard wetting himself"
*tries to hold the stern look, but a snicker slips out nonetheless...*
And I can't believe you were philosophical about *escalators*.

(LMAO)

Narthex:
Alright you. ;)

Keeefer:
Yeah, I can see it now. After the thigh and ass workout on the escalator, then there would be the tricep and bicecp workout by flying your child (Noel) through the air like a witch on a broom, and then the entire body workout as you gave a piggyback ride to your child (Noel)...amounting to some squats as you pretend to be a carousel horse like the ones in Mary Poppins.

Mummy/Crit:
Girl, you *know* it! :)

Fishlamp:
So do ya dig the proposed regimen? ;)