Monday, April 25, 2005

Last night's fling

Last night was adventure-filled, in the classic BeckyBumblefuck way. One of my favorite Chicago bands was in town (well, sort of, I’m generously including New Haven as “my town”) and I decided that I was going for a listen, with or without accompaniment. So I showed up to Bar a bit after 8 (the posted time the bands were starting) to find that The Reputation would not actually play for at least another 3 hours. I was forced to do the sure-fire thing for unwanted boy attention: sit alone at a bar and drink. The bartender kicked it off by responding to my query about any specials with, “I’m the only very special thing behind this bar [wink].” I was able to dodge any meaningful glances for awhile after that, mostly by intently reading beer descriptions, peeling labels off of bottles, and studying the Toulouse-Lautrec painting that was the art centerpiece, until I was invited to sit with Elizabeth (the band’s frontwoman) and her girlfriends. They were ultracool, and shit-can they order a pizza! Without being hungry, I was soon consuming a clam/bacon/hot pepper pizza, with fresh lime juice squeezed over it. After a bit, they needed a smoke and I soon found myself designated the beer/purse guardian for the table, which simultaneously was a perfect opportunity for the smelliest man in the bar to approach me. Before I knew it, this man’s hand was around my waist and I was being asked over for Turkish coffee, out for Mexican food, and told that I needed to visit his large, seaside Turkish home. Yeah, well. Let me think about it, sir. OK, done. No. Amusingly and randomly, he asked if I was British (not a very good judge of accents, obviously.) Finally, my newly acquired girlfriends returned, (before I had agreed to anything that I would seriously regret in my half-drunker state) and caught the gist of my “save me!” eyes. Unfortunately, this did not completely put off Turkish man, but enough that I felt comfortable. In an effort to avoid unwanted quality time, I rode around in a foreign car delivering one of the girls back home, and then I found myself in the other girl’s architecture office, pondering why I hadn’t chosen that field... AH well. We did finally hear our band and get a nice goodbye hug from the frontwoman. Then I said goodbye to the random girl, Nicholetta, whom I will likely never see again, but whom I will be forever grateful for rescuing me that night. Even she classified the night as, “one to go into the book...” (or blog, as I would have it... ;) ) Oh, and an anti-shoutout to the tall, blonde man-on-the-street who followed up a comment with how beautiful I was with a “Fuck-you” as I continued to walk down the street. Sorry, I wasn’t about to bed you, sir.

7 comments:

Lever said...

Becky? British? You didn't say "Cor Blimey", "Flippin' 'Eck" or "Bugger" a lot did you? No, wait, you said "'ere, stop titting about!" LOL

arthur decko said...

ya know, we aren't ALL that bad, just most of us...sadly it's those guys that give the rest of us the bad reputation...

mmmm, clam pizza and bacon...

shinanos said...

Aye... So British Becky.
But I love yr BumbleFK way, I'm a bit like that you know... Thanks for your comments to mine :)

searchingforMrDarcy said...

Ah yes now I remeber why I avoid bars. Glad you w ere able to fend everyone off.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Lever-Well, actually I *may* have said bugger (I've been saying that for years now, although Noel thinks I'm saying "booger", and I haven't corrected her on that). I may have to integrate "titting about" into the vocab soon, however. OK, no-I just tried saying it aloud, and I would certainly laugh too much which would make the point of saying it at all, mute.
Retarius- ANd pray tell, which group do YOU belong in? A little of both, maybe? ;)
Shina-I wish we could hang-out. *That* would be an adventure, I'm sure!
K- Yes, dear. Bars are still what you'd expect.

RahX said...

In regards to your comment on my blog, I think its caused when the computers resolution is set to a lower setting. My posts always start directly under the banner when viewed on my computer, but the ones at work do the same thing you mentioned PC's doing.

Work computers have a really poor resolution.

In regards to your post...don't you just love single serving friends :)

Jay said...

Well Becky, you're a siren. It can't be helped.

By the way, isn't "turkish coffee" a euphemism for something?