Saturday, April 23, 2005

Saturday's report

Noel stated early on today that “It not Christmas today. It not Halloween day, either.”

It became quickly obvious that once I was able to get past moving from the bed to relieve my painfully full bladder (about an hour), that I required my favorite morning comfort food. So, I turned on the recently downloaded and especially poignant-to-my-current-feelings songs from itunes, and ramped up to bake scones. Scones are the perfect balance of bread-y texture combined with just enough sweetness, and in this case (of course) chocolate. Comfort was obtained in short measure. I had done well: the three-year-old crammed the entire pastry in her little mouth in record time. It was helpful, as I was facing a solidly grey, rainy day. The weather was terrible, and although I’d conscientiously left work in a good state of affairs, free to adventure without the burden clouds of impending medical papers on disfiguring diseases, my plans had prematurely evaporated-before the weekend even kicked into high gear-meaning that I was free and clear to enjoy milling about. Which I did, I might add. I drifted around the internet, did the slackest workout tape that I had available, and didn’t manage to make it out of the PJs until about 4 in the afternoon. Noel and I then went *out*. Hit the aquarium, a burrito place, a book store, and a grocery shop. Whew. Of note: was the graceless exit from the bookstore with the classic fall, flat-on-your-face, by Noel. Her complaint” “My eyebrows are hurt! I need a doctor!” A distraction of some lemonade, worked just as well. The night was a hit all around, made by a single brilliant suggestion at the end of the shopping. I grabbed some chocolate donuts, to which my child starting cheering, “woo-hoo!”, loudly and then gave me a high five. Good on Mom for that one.

5 comments:

shinanos said...

Becky, this is so lovely - not boring report at all :) I love Noel's pure curiousity & behavior to you mom, kids are great...*Hi 5*

Unknown said...

“My eyebrows are hurt! I need a doctor!”

this is definitely going to a long living quotable quote. three year olds have such an unfiltered beauty in their sensory perception of the world that monks, artists and philosophers try their lives to achieve...

Jay said...

See now, if you were Pope, Noel would have had quite a boring day. No chocolate donuts, I'm sure.

Lever said...

Scones WITH CHOCOLATE? Wow, that's some serious food there... cheese scones, yeah, chilli & cheese scones, "cool", but chocolate?... well dress me up in curtains and call me Pope... I'd never have thought of that. You are a clever cookie ;)

BTW how's Noel's eyebrows?

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

mmmm, thanks guys. ;)
Oh, and the eyebrows spontaneously recovered-it was quite miraculous considering the large damage that can be inflicted on a 3-yr-old's eyebrows when they come near touching the floor. No eyebrow scars, or anything....
;)