Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The hard truths of balloon-launching

Just when you were about to go *on* about my parenting skills, all warm and fuzzy-like, I thought I'd throw you this curve ball...

My girl and I had just completed our ritualistic trip to the grocery store, finishing as always with her sweetly asking the service desk help for a balloon (My child logs all the "good stuff" and never missses a beat. If the opportunity arises, she asks for more good stuff again...) So we left the store, grocery bags and balloon in hand, as usual.

The little lady is 3.5 and has reached the stage where she can be reasoned with *BIG sigh of relief*, so when she suggested that she wanted to "let the balloon go" I decided to go with it. So after just a single warning that Mom couldn't retrieve the balloon once it left her little fingers and started floating away, we got out of the car and launched the balloon. She watched, intrigued, for a nice bit. But then it all fell apart, as you can visualize yourself.

So, yeah, we learned that day that some things that you let go, cannot be retrieved, no matter how hard ya cry about it. And likely, your Mom will try and impart this wisdom and many other truths on you many, many times before it sticks.
[I need a drink. ;)]

7 comments:

Lever said...

Aw bless...

But remember, once that drink's gone... you can always go and pour another :) Unless, of course, you've run out of Gordons :\

Mummy/Crit said...

Except that Becky would drink Bombay Sapphire, or possibly the other one..[thinks]....Tanqueray.

Boy that last photo was a doozy. We call that a 'learning experience'. (As is anything where mum could rightfully say "I told you so") I reckon the fact that you let them happen makes you a better parent.

Good luck with them in the future. You are doing a good job.

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Lever:
Well, hopefully when you are giving me your phone number in the bar that we have the fortune to meet in, then you will also buy me another.... ;)

Mummy/crit:
Good woman: yes, Tanqueray. ;)
And thanks-I appreciate the cheerleading (especially from another woman in-the-know...) ;)

Kat E said...

I am so impressed that you had the camera at the ready for this. Despite the tears, I had a little chuckle over this series ;)

Jay said...

Oh, what a sad day indeed. I think that the mere thought of balloon heartbreak would be enough for me to never want kids. They can be so hearty at times,and so fragile at others!

ergo said...

The expression on her face could break a sea of hearts. Such passion for a container of helium.

=)

BeckyBumbleFuck said...

Mulgogi:
Thanks, sweetie!

Kat e:
Um, yeah. I had the camera ready for the balloon launch...the rest was a bonus, of sorts. ;)

Jay:
Precisely true about the fragility. Shame about the rest, though. ;)

Ergo:
Hold tight boys... Oh, and you minimize the value of the lovely presentation of the gas... ;)